Monday, July 18, 2011

Mothers & Daughters

I don't know what it is like to be a father obviously, nor do I have a son. I could however write pages on the complex relationship between a mother & daughter. I can tell you that the pull I have to my mother is so similar to the one I have to my daughters. When any of them are in distress it is hard to think of much else. It's hard for me to discuss what this month has been like. However, I am confident now while this health misfortune is so supremely unfair, it is something my mother will conquer and move on from.

While I will not be there for her surgery, I will be able to visit for awhile doing her recovery. In the meantime I am busy working on a few items that will cheer her during the hospital stay. Is there anything you have made for someone undergoing surgery? So far on my hook, I'm working on a prayer shawl. I'm also planning on doing an embroidered prayer cloth. I would love more ideas though, so please let me know!

Needless to say, I didn't do much craftiness or art in the past month. I did work on a few photography props for a friend. It was that return to my knitting needles and crochet hook that I found some peace. It is amazing how therapeutic that craft is and I was surprised by how much I had missed it.

I'm busy working on a large Etsy order,but by tomorrow I will be back in the studio working on some yummy things to show you. Time to get going on Halloween - the months fly by sooo fast!

I also found peace and hope in pushing my physical activity. I'm signed up for 2 triathlons and a number of cycling & running events this summer. For some reason the sensation of physically getting stronger has helped me feel like I can help my mom in her fight. It doesn't make sense, but it is a way for me to harness my energy. It is so hard to watch on the sidelines while someone you love battles a disease.

I thank you again for your patience and kind words!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm glad you're finding your way back.

Rachel said...

I am sorry to hear of your mother and her health issues. I hope that you are holding up well and able to be a support to her. Good luck on your races, sometimes having something to focus on is helpful to get through hard times.

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...